Volunteerism is widely recognized for its leadership-building capabilities and as a positive addition to one's curriculum vitae. Networking connections made while volunteering can lead to research partnerships, job advancement, lifelong friendships, and personal fulfillment and recognition. Volunteering is also an excellent way to learn more about a particular role or sector, for example coming from nonprofit or government and switching to for profit. You'll broaden your exposure beyond boundaries of your existing professional network, and cross paths with people from across your discipline, including leaders with whom you may otherwise not have met. So, get involved with one of these opportunities:
Committees and Boards
- Guide the direction and development of ASA by serving on a committee or board. Opportunities include journal peer reviewer, book editor, community chair, K-12 outreach, student activities, and mentors, just to name a few!
- Be a mentor -- The Golden Opportunity (GO) Scholars Institute matches undergraduates with scientist-mentors during the Annual Meeting. New in 2014: Greenfield Scholars are GO Scholars who intend to enter the workforce after graduation and have an interest in the Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) certification.
- Get involved in the Legislative Action Network (LAN) -- Receive action alerts then reach out to members of Congress on policy issues and legislative actions.
Crunched for time? Try these one-and-done opportunities
- Submit your Career Profile -- Inspire students considering a career in our sciences.
- Expand your network and strengthen ASA when you refer a colleague or student.
Make the Most of Your Membership
- Attend the Annual Meeting to connect with colleagues from around the world at this multi-disciplinary event.
- Select your Communities and develop peer networks and share information.
- Read CSA News and News Flash for the latest member information and opportunities.
- Subscribe to the Digital Library to access all of our published content in one convenient place.
- Publish and present your research to advance your career.
- Connect with colleagues through the Membership Directory and Scientific Expertise Directory.