A - Climatology and Modeling Section - Officers (A014)
2012 Annual Report
The Climatology and Modeling Section consists of 8 active communities: Agroclimatology and Modeling, Biophysical Measurements and Sensors, Global Climate Change, Model Applications in Field Research, Remote Sensing of Evapotranspiration, Sensor-based Water Management, and Soil-Plant-Water Relations.
The Climatology and Modeling section presented six symposiums at the 2012 ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meetings in Cincinnati, OH Oct. 21-24, 2012. The symposium titles, sponsoring community, and number of scheduled presenters were:
- Satellites Serving Agriculture and the Environment: Honoring the Achievements of Paul Doraiswamy, Airborne and Satellite Remote Sensing Community, 12 presenters
- Sensor-based Water Management: Sensors and Algorithms, Sensor-based Water Management Community, 12 presenters
- Evapotranspiration: Monitoring, Modeling and Mapping at Point, Field, and Regional Scales, Remote Sensing of Evapotranspiration, 12 presenters
- Model Applications in Field Research, Model Applications in Field Research Community, 10 presenters
- The AgMip Project: Comparison of Model Approaches to Simulation of Crop Response to Global Climate Change Effects of Carbon Dioxide, Water and Temperature, Global Climate Change Community, 11 presenters
- Soil-Plant-Water Relations: Challenges in Model Selection, Parameterization, and Validation, 9 presenters.
The Biophysical Measurements and Sensors Community sponsored a unique poster session
- Innovative Biophysical Instrumentation Design: An Original Instrumentation Show-and-Tell with Student Competition
with 8 participants.
In all, for the section, the 2012 meeting had 98 oral papers and 102 posters
The Sensor-based Water Management Community co-sponsored the Joint Meeting of the Second International Soil Sensing Technology Conference, the Soil Physics Technical Committee Annual Meeting, and the ASA Sensor-based Water Management Community held in Honolulu, Hawaii on January 3-7, 2012.
Items Requiring Board Attention:
From what we have been told thus far, ARS will face similar, if not worse, travel restrictions that occurred for the 2012 meeting.
Members of the Committee:
Judy Tolk (Presiding Chair, Climatology and Modeling Section)
Claudia Wagner-Riddle (Vice Chair, Climatology and Modeling Section)
Robert Lascano (Board Rep., Climatology and Modeling Section)
Tolk, Judy A.